Family members of the victims of the Red Lake shooting met with U.S. Attorney Tom Heffelfinger today and some interesting things came to light…
Nearly 40 people knew that 16-year-old Jeff Weise had planned some sort of violence at Red Lake High School before he went on a rampage, according to family members who met with U.S. Attorney Tom Heffelfinger on Monday.
Heffelfinger met behind closed doors with those who lost loved ones in the March 21 shooting, when Weise killed nine people before killing himself.
“It’s horrid. I just got a headache,” said Barbara Brun, who lost her son, Derrick, a security guard, in the shooting. “I wasn’t this angry before I came. I haven’t been this angry since March 21st.”
Brun said Heffelfinger told those gathered at a hotel here that 39 people knew Weise planned a shooting at the high school, and of those, four or five had direct knowledge. Brun said that Heffelfinger told the group Weise had been talking about the shooting since 2003.
“Why didn’t someone take him seriously?” she asked.
39 people knew and not one person said anything. And some people say that as a society we’re overreacting to perceived threats of school violence. I’d rather there be an overreaction and save lives than there be no reaction with scores dead.