Speaking of bad parents please check out this post from my wife Jade on two people who wrote the book on bad parenting, Andrea and Rusty Yates.

6 thoughts on “‘Jaded’ view on parenting

1. Ihavekidstoo says:

LOVE it! Well said, Jade. I’ve always felt Rusty was every bit as guilty and Andrea. I, however, have never been able to find it in my heart to give her a pass on her actions in any way. Yes, I understand she has a mental illness, but I don’t believe mental illness is always a valid defense for bad behavior of any kind, let alone for killing a child.

For me, the barometer has always been “Did the person know at some level that what they were doing was wrong?” Andrea most definitely did. How can I say that? Simple – she concealed what she was going to do from her husband by waiting until he was at work to kill her kids. Once the deed was done, she called the cops to confess it.

A person who is insane to the point of not knowing their actions are wrong doesn’t bother to conceal their actions and doesn’t see the need to report it to the cops — because they don’t know they’ve done anything wrong. People who hide what they’re doing or ‘fess up to the cops about it later KNEW it was wrong, yet they chose to do it anyway.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again – there are mental illnesses that preclude someone from knowing the difference between right and wrong. Depression ain’t one of them.

2. Ihavekidstoo says:

3. jade says:

you’re right, depression doesn’t cause the person to lose the ability to tell right from wrong. post-partum psychosis is a whole different ballgame though.

4. jade says:

5. Gina.Maria says:

Sorry, I disagree that Andrea was culpible in the murder of her children. I believe her husband is the criminal and that he, himself, was part of her deep psychosis she experienced. His control of her and refusal to get her real help was abominable.

6. Gina.Maria says: