Emotional 911 call released in 3-year-old’s shooting death:

Here’s yet another reason why you shouldn’t keep unsecured firearms around children. I really shouldn’t have to explain this one but here we are.

Anyway, 3-year-old Pharell Hinton of Raleigh, NC accidentally shot and killed himself with his father’s 9mm on Christmas Eve. Think about that for a second. As much as some people like to think this happens guns just don’t magically discharge all by themselves. Even if somehow the child was able to work the safety that would mean that the gun had a magazine in it with a chambered round in a house around children, unlocked.

The father, 26-year-old Eric Eugene Hinton, is being held on charges of involuntary manslaughter and is currently on suicide watch.

Last year Hinton was convicted for being a drug dealer which means he shouldn’t have been in possession of a firearm in the first place. He’s been charged for that too.

All together he’s looking at a max of only 9 years behind bars.

28 thoughts on “Nothing says Christmas like kids and a loaded gun

1. Mallory says:

I don’t know this guy must have been a retard. People who don’t take safety measures should no own guns.

2. Mallory says:

3. Mallory says:

of course I sound like a retard with all my damn typos.

4. Mallory says:

of course I sound like a retard with all my damn typos.

5. Ihavekidstoo says:

Just read the comments from the family. No one’s pissed at the dad, apparently, for having a loaded gun in a houseful of five kids. I’m supposed to feel sorry for these people? I think not.

And suicide watch my ass. Toss a rope into the cell with him and save the taxpayers some money, I say.

6. Ihavekidstoo says:

7. pak31 says:

I agree with both of you. The family keeps making all kinds of excuses for the dad. Plus this was not an accident. Or it was a preventable accident. These stories kill me, the children are always the ones to get hurt, they are supposed to be protected by their parents. The fact that this boy did this also shows no one was watching him either. So sad.

8. pak31 says:

9. Samantha says:

That is so sad. What I don’t understand is, how did he do it? Dont you have to pull back on the gun then pull the trigger? And those things arent easy to pull back on, I can barely do it.

10. Samantha says:

11. Which leads me to believe that there was a round already chambered.

12. Which leads me to believe that there was a round already chambered.

13. Tiara says:

Well, maybe it’s the holiday spirit or something but I feel bad for EVERYONE involved. Was the guy a retard for having a loaded gun in the house with 5 kids while he played hide and seek? Hell yes. Did his three year old just die on his floor, in front of him, because of HIS error. Hell yes. Stop for a minute and think about that. If this happened to you, or something else, because I can already hear the “I would NEVER do something like that” comments, where your child died because of something you did or didnt do, how would you feel? Pretty f’in horrible. And maybe he deserves it, I dont know, I just know that I would want to kill myself and I can empathize with his family. He didnt beat his children to death, he didnt leave them out in the snow he made a dumb mistake, that cost his child his life. Saying stuff like “throw him a rope” is completley uncalled for. You should never wish that on someone lest you find yourself in the same situation one day.
    @Trench, I dont know a three year old who knows all the intricacies of loading guns so with that and the family’s statements about him trying to leave the gang life and being threatened, I’d imagine you’re right.

14. Tiara says:

15. Ihavekidstoo says:

Tiara, I admire your charitable heart, but I just can’t feel sorry for this guy. Obviously, he was experienced with guns. So he should have been well aware of the dangers of leaving a loaded gun laying around. Sure he must have been busy with five kids, and I will give him credit for being a dad who wanted to be involved with his kids, when so many don’t stick around anymore. But he CHOSE to have a loaded gun in his home, around his kids, where they could get their hands on it.

When someone’s actions are so stupidly irresponsible that they cause the death of another person, that’s criminal negligence in our society. And it deserves to be punished.

16. Ihavekidstoo says:

17. Samantha says:

I can’t say I feel sorry for this guy, but in a way I do. I know that if I did something/didn’t do something and it caused my child’s death, I would no longer be alive either. I wouldn’t be able to live with myself. But he is a grown man and should have kept it locked up, now he has to face the consequences of his actions, and unfortunately he is paying the highest price of all, his child’s life.
    I agree Trench, thats the only way I can imagine a 3 year old was able to do that.

18. Samantha says:

19. Tiara says:

ihavekidstoo…I was talking about this at work today with a friend and we both agree that is def. criminal negligance. However, he’s not being charged with JUST negligance, he’s being charged with manslaughter. Manslaughter is a charge for someone who physically killed someone on accident, or without intent. I think what they are getting him on is reckless manslaughter, where his actions led to the death of another. I thought they would charge him with criminal negligence, which has the same reckless subset.

20. Tiara says:

ALSO, I spelled “negligence” wrong numerous times in that last post, my bad

21. Tiara says:

22. Tiara says:

ALSO, I spelled “negligence” wrong numerous times in that last post, my bad

23. Ihavekidstoo says:

Tiara, I agree — I don’t think this is manslaughter, but criminal negligence. Often prosecutors will charge someone with a more serious crime with the idea that when it reaches a judge or they try to cut a plea deal they have some “wiggle room” to reduce the charges but still get a conviction on charges that seem just.

24. Ihavekidstoo says:

25. withkids says:

When we were staying at my in-laws house, the kids found a loaded gun under the bed in the room where we were sleeping. Thank God we were with them when they found it. But nobody in the family besides my husband and me thought there was anything wrong with the gun being there, even though other young kids in the family visit often. Needless to say, we won’t ever stay there again!

26. withkids says:

27. LIsa says:

Wise decision, withkids! That would have scared the lasagna right out of me. Sounds like they are all in denial.

28. LIsa says: