Child Dead, Father Charged With Murder:

Christopher Mitchell of Johnson City, Tenn. has been charged with first degree murder in the death of his two-year-old son, Jacob. Jacob died from a gunshot to the head but Mitchell claims it was an accident. Like that’s supposed to make it better.

Mitchell claims that he kept a loaded handgun in a kitchen cabinet that he knew Jacob had gotten into before. However police aren’t buying that story and it didn’t help that Mitchell gave police a false name and hid the gun. For that Mitchell has also been charged with tampering with evidence and criminal impersonation.

I think I may have to have a separate category just for idiots with guns.

For those who may need to know the rules again here they are.

Don’t keep guns when you have kids in the house.

If you absolutely have to have a gun keep the gun locked and unloaded. You can get trigger locks for cheap.

Thanks to LadyJade for the tip.

8 thoughts on “Two-year-old dies from gunshot

1. CARISSA says:

THIS DUMB ASS BITCH….I HOPE U FUCKING GO TO HELL STUPID JACK ASS HOW THE FUCK IS THAT GOING TO BE AN ACCIDENT….I FUCKIN HATE PEOPLE LIKE U……..HOPEFULLY SUM ONE TAKES A GUN TO UR MUTHAFUCKIN HEAD BITCH…..

2. brent says:

rest of the rule is “guns and bullets get stored in different fucking safes.”

My husband has several guns and we have a child. Therefore, the guns are stored unloaded in a double locked gun safe and the keys are hidden elsewhere. Some of the guns are family heirloom rifles/revolvers. He does store the ammunition in the heavy gauge metal safe, but as I said, the keys are hidden somewhere else (I don’t even know where they are). He will not clean a gun with our child in the room. He does not assume that just because he removed the clip and looked in the chamber that no bullets are in it. Therefore, the guns are immediately put away. Some common sense is good if you want to own guns.

I don’t believe for a minute that this was an accident. Why would you keep a loaded gun in a kitchen cabinet that you KNOW your child gets into. I see a long prison sentence in his future.

4. Isa says:

Personally I would not be all that comfortable keeping guns in the house with kids, but that’s me; obviously Kathy and her husband are taking every precaution to keep their kids safe, like sensible people would. Good on them.

I’m with you, Kathy… it’s hard to believe that this was an accident. This kind of thing is easily preventable, as evidenced by the actions of responsible gun owners like your husband.

5. Don says:

I have two sons, one age 18 and one age 4… I have had guns in the house during both of their lives. I have had and will always have guns in my house as befits my rights under the 2nd amendment of the constitution of the Unites States of America – I’m not living in a socialsts deluded dream of a world…

My first son knew of my firearms. He knew where they were. He knew where the ammunition was kept, and as he had more than sub-normal intellect, he knew where the keys were kept.

I never worried about his access to my firearms. I never worried that he might misuse one, whether by showing off for a friend or by simply playing with one…

Because I taught him from a very early age that guns aren’t toys. They’re very f*****g serious, but they’re just tools. You use a hammer to drive a nail, you use a screwdriver to drive a screw, and you use a gun to kill things.

Guess what? He never touched my guns without permission, and I trust that his half brother never will either.

Why?

Because I’m their father, and it’s my JOB to teach them the lessons they’ll need in their lives. My youngest is going to learn to shoot, and that means that he’ll learn when it’s appropriate and not appropriate to use a potentially lethal weapon. He’ll learn what pointing a gun at somebody means, and he’ll learn that death is forever.

Education, education, education. If you’re going to keep guns in your house, educate your children.

Mine are/were. Guns aren’t evil, they’re just tools – they do what the human holding them tell them to do.

6. Michael says:

Well said Don. My dad was a cop so we have always had guns in the house. But he taught me and my siblings just how dangerous and serious guns are.

His philosophy was that he showed them to us once. They were unloaded of course and there were certain rules such as never point them at anyone, and he was right there next to us.

Then if we wanted to look at them again we were to let him know and he would show them to us, under his supervision. Other then that we were never to fu*@ing touch them, because they could kill us.

We realized a) that they were scary things not to be messed with and b) if we really wanted to see them then we could ask him. But knowing the facts caused us to never need or want to see them.

7. Samantha says:

I totally agree with you Don. As with Michael, my dad was/is in law enforcement. We have always had guns around us. My dad taught us at an early age how to use them. Some of my earliest memories are of going to the range with my dad. But more importantly, my dad taught us that guns were not toys. He taught us to respect them and that they were never ever to be touched. And you know what? My brother and I never messed with his guns. I agree with Don, if you are going to have guns in your house, loaded, unloaded, locked in a safe or in your night stand, whatever… you need to educate your children about them. Like I said, some of my earliest memories involve guns, from going to the range to sitting in the living room floor watching my dad clean his guns… Another thing I would point out, teaching your kids helps to take some of the curiosity out of it. You keep the “big bad guns” hidden and locked away, of course they are going try to get to them and being ignorant of what they can do, bad things might happen. Does that mean I think you should just leave them laying around anywhere and everywhere? No. Definately not. I guess I just feel like Don hit it right on in his post.