Woman turns herself in after tossing baby into lake:

Mom to be charged with dumping baby in lake:

20-year-old Ciara Craig of Metairie, Louisiana has been charged with first degree murder for dumping her newborn daughter into Lake Pontchartrain.

As is almost usual in these cases Craig was hiding the pregnancy from her family. Reports say that the baby was the product of a one night stand and that she wanted to get an abortion but was too far along in the pregnancy. She supposed had received counseling on other alternatives but it’s unknown how much she knew about Louisiana’s safe haven laws.

She turned herself into police on her family’s urging. Too little too late if you ask me but I digress.

Here’s where you may want to look away because the rest of the details aren’t pretty. As a matter of fact it’s nstories like this that make want to quit writing about crime.

Craig told police that when she dumped the baby into the lake she could feel the baby’s heartbeat and that it was still breathing. Police received a tip from a neighbor that they noticed something suspicious being thrown in a trashcan. When police investigated they found the placenta.

According to the MSNBC article here’s what the La. safe haven law is…

Under the law, a baby up to 31 days old may be left at any emergency care facility, such as a hospital or police station. The baby cannot be left unattended and must show no signs of abuse or neglect.

First off if it was too late to get an abortion how about giving the baby up for adoption? I get comments from families all the time who say they have room in their life for another child.

Another thing I don’t get is the whole hiding the pregnancy thing. What’s the worst that could happen. Barring any extreme circumstances the most that would happen is that your parents throw you out. That’s a hell of a lot better than a dead baby and spending the rest of your life or being killed in prison.

Lastly in this day and age who doesn’t know about safe haven laws?

As I’m apt to say at one of my other sites as a society humanity doesn’t deserve to exist.

Thanks to Kathy for the tip.

26 thoughts on “Woman charged with murder for dumping newborn into lake

1. Bogustoo says:

I’m sorry you had to write that up.

2. Bogustoo says:

I’m sorry you had to write that up.

3. It’s ok. I think I’m back to normal today.

4. It’s ok. I think I’m back to normal today.

It made me sick to read the article. I’m one of those homes who has room for another child. These stories hit me hard since I’ve been unable to have kids of my own. Praise God, my husband and I have adopted one beautiful son. But, we would love to have 1-2 more. We could have given that baby an incredible home. Luckily, heaven is even better than what we could do. I don’t feel much sympathy or understanding for the mother.

7. SouthernClass says:

I can’t see how anyone could dump a newborn in a lake knowing that the baby has a heartbeat and is breathing. There are a lot of sick people in this world.

8. SouthernClass says:

9. Ihavekidstoo says:

I’m always surprised when other people are surprised by stories of breeders who kill or dump their newborns. These women live in a society that tells them it’s NOT a baby and has no right to live for the 9 months that it’s living inside them. So why would they think it’s a baby with the right ot live AFTER it’s born? What difference does a few weeks and a matter of a few inches make to them?

10. Ihavekidstoo says:

11. sfdude_2008 says:

Why is that whore smiling in her mugshot?! STUPID BITCH!!!!!! YOU DON’T TOSS BABIES INTO THE LAKE!!!!!! CIARA CRAIG IS AN UGLY STUPID BLOATED BITCH!!!!!!!!!! SHE SHOULD BE STERILIZED!!!!!!!!

12. sfdude_2008 says:

13. sfdude_2008 says:

I think the death penalty is too good for that bloated bitch; in fact, let’s have her ass beat down!

14. sfdude_2008 says:

15. Anonymous says:

Not only do you have to read and write about this, you have to endure the comments, I suppose.

Still, that’s probably easier than being a girl.

16. wev says:

Still, that’s probably easier than being a girl.

17. bogustoo says:

Wev, what is that supposed to mean?

18. bogustoo says:

Wev, what is that supposed to mean?

19. sfdude_2008 says:

Good on the inmate for giving that smiling idiot of a “mother” a big taste of her own medicine cuz that bitch does not deserve the opportunity to procreate ever again! I don’t have sympathy for her at all! I hope that inmate does it again everyday (at least until that smirk is finally wiped off Ciara’s face, that is) because even inmates hate child abusers and baby killers! Hell, I’d literally wipe that smirk off her face myself if I were that inmate!

20. sfdude_2008 says:

21. madison says:

good im glad that stupid c**t got beat down. to bad they didnt kill her. nasty skanky baby killer.

22. madison says:

23. Beanmagnet says:

^THIS^ is a baby killer, a woman who gets an abortion is NOT. And I am glad every day of my life that there is something called jail house justice. This chick is beyond messed up. I know that even if I wanted to do that to my own baby (of course no such thought has EVER even crossed my mind) being able to feel his little heart beating and seeing him breathe would be enough to stop me from killing him, even if I didnt want to keep him. Shes obviously messed up and deserves everything she gets.