Mother of baby killed by meth-contaminated breast milk gets 90 days:

46-year-old Maureen Hoffart of Sacramento, California was convicted of her baby’s January 2008 death after the baby died from ingesting meth tainted breastmilk. Mom is a tweaker obviously. But instead of getting a real sentence to send a message to meth heads and drug addled parents a judge only gav e her 90-days in jail…

Earl said from the bench that Hoffart had plenty of mitigating circumstances working in her favor. Among them, the judge noted, was a minimal criminal history that consisted of two methamphetamine-related arrests that were more than 10 years old. The judge said Hoffart has strong support from family, friends and other community members and that a former kindergarten teacher wrote a letter to the court on her behalf characterizing the defendant as a good mother who volunteered at school and provided her children with a “supportive academic environment.”

That’s all well and good but a baby died because of a mother’s meth addiction. We need less feel good judges and more of the hanging variety.

Thanks to Calvena for the tip.

27 thoughts on “Meth Milk Mom gets slap on the wrist

1. Julie says:

Well, obviously, she’s a great mother–she breastfeeds! Or, I guess that should be past tense. I’m not how causing the death of one of your children constitutes a supportive academic environment, though, and I do not see why her having support from her family, etc., should mitigate her sentence. But I guess that’s why I’m just an armchair judge…

2. Julie says:

3. logic says:

That’s murder in my opinion.

4. logic says:

That’s murder in my opinion.

5. Jen says:

So, being a good mom entails doing meth and then sticking my baby’s face in my boob? Oh yeah. That’s awesome. Hey, I’ll be right back. Me and some of the neighborhood kids are gonna do a few bong hits. I’m practicing for when I have a child.

6. Jen says:

7. Tenacity says:

LEAVE HER ALONE!!! What she got was more than a slap on the wrist. Any body who reads this site has read about about much worse cases, mothers leaving kids in the care of violent creepy boy friends, those are the women who usually get a slap on the wrist, but deserve a stiff sentence, ingoring scar’s, bruises, &/or burns on a kid. But she wasn’t the one beating the child, so she gets off light.

8. Tenacity says:

9. Tenacity: what you said makes no sense at all. I know the image of a a beaten, battered kid can be much more emotionally provocative than that of an infant, and that both of these situations are ones of extreme neglect, but you have to consider consequences. This time, an infant, a future fully-grown human being, died; the beaten kids, for whatever problems they may suffer down the road, are still alive at least. And in any case, just because she had a harsher punishment than others in similar situations doesn’t mean it’s harsh enough.

10. Tenacity: what you said makes no sense at all. I know the image of a a beaten, battered kid can be much more emotionally provocative than that of an infant, and that both of these situations are ones of extreme neglect, but you have to consider consequences. This time, an infant, a future fully-grown human being, died; the beaten kids, for whatever problems they may suffer down the road, are still alive at least. And in any case, just because she had a harsher punishment than others in similar situations doesn’t mean it’s harsh enough.

11. sfdude_2008 says:

Tenacity, I agree with Brap Finkeldort. You would really impress us more if you would just stay on topic and make lots of sense instead of just stating your nonsense. You really seem to be defending this so-called mother. If she would really “get out of jail” after her first lousy 90 days, how about if you have her babysit your kids, eh? But then again, she needs even more than 90 days in jail. Still offended by that. Good for you. Don’t like this site? Nobody is forcing you to read it, so move on.

12. sfdude_2008 says:

13. Anonymous says:

This judge is what we can expect when we think “empathy is more important than the law.” Ridiculous. She killed her child. Ninety days is a slap in the face.

14. Soobs says:

15. Jamie says:

What I don’t understand if she is such a good mom then why is she doing drugs in the first place? and if she was such a good mom she wouldn’t of breast fed while doing meth??

16. Jamie says:

Ok, I decided to come back on here with a more compassionate attitude then last week’s “shoot ’em and get it over with” attitude. This is a horrific situation. The mother is directly responsible for the death of her child because of her own bad decisions. Who knows what that child could have become if she’d had the opportunity to grow up?

BUT, the birth mother has other children who will suffer if the mother was in jail for a long period of time. I would hope that she has to undergo a detox program and must follow a narcotics anonymous program. If her family is truly supportive, then they need to make sure the mother follows a treatment plan and stays clean. They need to take care of her children while she works to get clean. I know I’m a foster parent, but I also know that if kids can be placed with loving family members that they know, they suffer less emotional damage.

I’m not downplaying the death of her child, but I am trying to think of the other children (assuming since a kindergarten teacher wrote a support letter) and their well-being. The news article says the mother takes full responsibility for the death of her child. She could be one who changes and gets her life together. I hope so. I hope she gets clean and gives her remaining the children the mother they deserve to have.

Man, I hope I don’t regret trying to be more compassionate.

Man, I hope I don’t regret trying to be more compassionate.

19. Angel says:

I understand where you’re coming from Kathy, but I can’t seem to find a good roadmap to get there myself. The way I see it she has already demonstrated her lack of judgment in the breastfeeding incident. Who is to say that somewhere down the road, she might not have another brief lapse, and kill another one? I simply can’t work up the sympathy for this mother.

How is she going to explain the death of the baby to the surviving children? How are they going to be able to trust her knowing she is responsible for the death of their sibling? Or is she going to concoct a fairy tale to tell them in order to preserve their trust in her, only to have them find out years later that she lied? Either way, she’s screwed. And so are the remaining kids if she gets them back.

I guess I could be wrong in my pessimistic assessment – I have been known to be wrong before. I just don’t see the good in giving her such a light sentence and then handing her the opportunity to abuse (drugs or her kids) again.

20. Angel says:

She’s got 90 days in jail and then 6 months of something like a house arrest type of situation where she has to be on some workforce. She has to talk about drug addiction and the consequences. So, for at least a year someone is going to be constantly in her face. I think that’s why I have hope. The people who are supportive of her extend beyond her immediate family. This just seems like a case where she might be able to pull it together and be decent mother. She alone will have to carry the load of trying to explain the sibling’s death to the other children. Maybe I’m just hopeful that something good can come of this tragedy. Who knows. Time will tell. Let’s just hope that time proves she can change and doesn’t bring us another horror story.

23. Layla says:

Ninety days pales in comparison to a lifetime of knowing that you killed your child because you were weak. Murder requires intent. The intent here was to engage in a loving act, but meth isn’t known for bringing out good judgment. Unfortunately, I think that many breast-feeding mothers are unaware of the possibility of harming the child while breastfeeding: many medications, alcohol, other drugs, diseases such as HIV, even bad diet can adversely affect an infant during breastfeeding, and many breastfeeding mothers remain unaware they are causing harm until it is too late and they’ve hurt their infants somehow. I can’t imagine my baby turning blue in my arms after nursing and finding out I was the cause. I think the other kids would be the only thing keeping me from suicide.

24. Layla says:

25. Echo says:

I’d be interested to found out what kind of education she had gotten about breastfeeding before the baby was born. There is a certain type of Lactation Advocate/Lactivist/Lactofasist that will say that breast is best ALWAYS – even if the mother smokes, drinks, does a little drugs here and there, etc.

26. Echo says:

27. Cowgrrl says:

And all this time, I thought tweakers were more the welfare-abusing formula-using types. I didn’t think they’d have enough presence of mind to think about breast being best, or whatever…