Three ‘let rats chew toes off baby’:

A lot of people sent me this story but I went with the Australian article not only because it had more information but also because the way they put it in their first paragraph.

Three people have been accused of endangering a child after rats bit a six-week-old girl and chewed off her toes at their cluttered US caravan home.

I’m not coming down on the Australian lingo I’m just fascinated with the way other countries phrase things even though we’re technically speaking the same language. They almost make it sound like the home was just slightly dusty.

Luckily I’m fluent in the Queen’s English. While a caravan can mean what we in The States call a camper it can also mean, which it does in this case, my favorite form of domicile, the trailer.

Anyway in American a six-week-old child that lived in a filthy trailer had her toes chewed off one of her feet by rats. Police were called to the trailer in Columbus, Ohio after they received an anonymous tip.

A married couple that lived in the trailer Joseph Gunter, 33, and Tina Gunter, 29 have been charged with endangering the welfare of a child as has the baby’s mother’s boyfriend, 18-year-old Todd Trent. The baby’s mother is said to be a juvenile and it’s unknown if she’s been charged.

The only thing missing from this story is meth.

Thanks to Matt, Becca and Astrobeck (possibly the best screen name ever).

26 thoughts on “A different rat story

1. Layla says:

Poor baby–I hope the doctors can give her some semblance of a normal life.

2. Layla says:

Poor baby–I hope the doctors can give her some semblance of a normal life.

3. Ihavekidstoo says:

These people MUST be ignoring the baby’s cries. There is just no other explanation for this. It’s an old wives tale that babies don’t feel pain. Anyone who’s ever dealt with a baby who has bad gas or reflux knows damn well they feel pain just like we do. So I don’t buy that the baby didn’t scream or cry while her toes were being chewed off.

No, at least three adults and one teenager willfully IGNORED that baby’s screams. Here’s an idea, let’s throw them into a dark, rat-infested prison and then ignore THEIR screams while the rats gnaw on them for a while.

4. Ihavekidstoo says:

Are rats seriously that starved for food that they need to eat babies??? As much waste as we produce, why do they need to chew on people. ew. this is so disgusting. I hope the child recovers and that something can be done for her. Learning to walk will be difficult without toes. The parents/other adults should be punished. This is so sad.

7. LeeAnn says:

I don’t even know what to say. How do you leave an infant unattended long enough for rats to chew off her toes?! Seriously. That’s just disgusting. And like the other person said, how do you not hear those screams of pain. Babies feel pain. When a baby gets immunizations they cry.
    I live in Ohio and no I don’t know this couple nor would I want to. It’s shameful they let that happen to a baby.
    They should all be charged with neglect, to start. The baby should also be taken away in my opinion.

8. LeeAnn says:

9. Annmarie says:

Did anyone see the pics of these people?! They look like the rats who did it!!! Thank god the baby is ok and won’t remember anything

10. Annmarie says:

11. April says:

Video here:

I’m thinking meth and inbreeding don’t mix.

12. April says:

Video here:

I’m thinking meth and inbreeding don’t mix.

13. loving_mom says:

It seems that every other day you are hearing about the father raping the baby and on the days you are not hearing that a rat is trying or has ate a baby or their body parts.

I took it upon myself to look at these fools and well…the guy looks like he needs to put in his teeth, chick needs to lose the mullet, and the 18 year old just looks stupid. It seems as though NONE of them were at work when this happened….where was mom? She is underage…was she at school, work?? Anyone know?

14. loving_mom says:

15. Michelle says:

In all these ‘rat chewing’ stories, I’m baffled that ANYONE would leave their baby alone long enough to be eaten alive by rats. For God’s sake, this is an awful way for anyone to suffer let alone a baby. I understand having some sort of rat infestation problem, but what I don’t understand is if you now you have this problem, why in the hell are you leaving your baby unattended for any period of time and not doing everything in your power to prevent these rats from getting anywhere near your baby, maybe because you really didn’t get a shit about your baby in the first place? Ugh!!! They need to lock these idiots up ‘the hole’ w/about 100 rats and see that it feel like.

16. Michelle says:

17. Angel says:

Annmarie – they DO look like rats! Good call.
    April, it might not be inbreeding, after all – it could be bestiality. They had to get their rat looks from somewhere. *ugh*

18. Angel says:

Annmarie – they DO look like rats! Good call.

19. One thing I forgot to mention is that the trailer is near an old uranium mining site.

They could be mutants.

20. One thing I forgot to mention is that the trailer is near an old uranium mining site.

They could be mutants.

21. Angel says:

Thanks, Trench. I’ll have nightmares for sure, tonight. Radioactive, mutant rats….and the people who love them. That sounds a lot like a good Jerry Springer show, doesn’t it?

22. Angel says:

23. exdwarf says:

Where were the cats when this was going down? Not that any cat deserves to live with people like this, but usually they do a better job of keeping babies company & clear of rodents than zombie parents. Good thing none of the humans in this story had many teeth or they would’ve also found human bite marks on the kid.

24. exdwarf says:

25. Kathy Thomas says:

Why isn’t the “mom” in jail too? was she gone? was she deaf? if she was there, she should have noticed and heard the babies cries, biting is extremely painful, and the “mom” should be in jail too.

26. Kathy Thomas says: