dballardAuthorities take injured, 60-pound teen from father in St. Bernard Parish:

60-pound teen removed from St. Bernard home:

Father arrested after 60 pound teen found injured in home:

What’s worse than getting evicted from a filthy trailer? How about getting evicted from a filthy RV? At least in a trailer you can take the wheels off. And it’s not like we’re talking about someone who was traveling the country either.

Anyway when police in St. Bernard Parish, Louisiana went to serve an RV eviction notice on 30-year-old Daniel Ballard (pictured) they found his 14-year-old son who weighed only 60 pounds (27.2 kg) living in the RV.

The boy hadn’t been to school or a doctor in four years. Ballard allegedly claimed that the boy was being home schooled. More on that later.

The boy, Ballard and the boy’s mother lived in Ohio at one point but when they split Ballard went to Louisiana and the mother went to Arizona,. Then in 2005 the woman put the boy on a plane to go live with Ballard. She says she’s been trying to find the boy for a while.

Anyway about the home schooling thing. I have no problem with people who home school their kids as long as there is actually schooling going on. Too many asscrabs like Ballard use it as an excuse to abuse their kids. Much like the foster parenting program there’s too many scumbags who give the entire concept of it a bad name.

Thanks to Bridget, Lori and Marchelle for the tip.

24 thoughts on “60 lb. teen found in filthy RV

1. Jinx says:

Wow, doesn’t look like the adult was missing any meals….

Despicable!

2. Jinx says:

Wow, doesn’t look like the adult was missing any meals….

Despicable!

3. Ashley says:

The headline of the article didn’t really catch my attention… I’m sure that’s because I have a 12 year old nephew who was absolutely estatic to learn he put on 6 pounds over the past year to a whopping new total weight of 70 lbs. With that said, I don’t think that just pointing out that he was only 60lbs should qualify the case as abuse… so I’m happy they elaborated on the headline, and also mentioned the school and doctor situation aswell.

4. Ashley says:

5. Filthy RV should have caught your attention because you had to know I was going to make a crack on trailers and then all the offended trailer people usually come out of the woodwork. That’s always a good time. 😆

6. Trench Reynolds says:

7. Angel says:

I still can’t comprehend the unmitigated cruelty behind someone who obviously has plenty to eat, yet allows a child to starve in his presence. This goes way beyond simple selfishness or greed, and delves into the realm of torture. You know that poor kid had to have been salivating every time Mr. Fatass up there fixed himself a meal, knowing he wasn’t likely to get even a bite.

😥

8. Angel says:

😥

9. Ihavekidstoo says:

Judgmental bitch weighing in here, but I GOTTA say it … again. What kind of mother voluntarily sends her child away? No matter what the situation, wouldn’t you find a way to keep your kid with you? And when you realized the father was batshit crazy and disappeared with your child, wouldn’t you do everything in your power to find him? Not just settle for making a few phone calls to law enforcement, but get your ass on a plane to N’Orleans and FIND your baby?

I’m just disgusted by mothers who create the potential for this kind of situation to occur.

10. Ihavekidstoo says:

11. Samantha says:

As much as I wish I could agree with you Ihavekidstoo, I cant. I think if the mother is in a situation where she KNOWS she cannot care for her child at that moment, if she feels the child would be better off with the other parent, or another family member, I think thats the stand up thing to do. If she was unable to take care of him, but kept him just to let him starve and die then we would all be saying, why didnt the bitch send him to someone to take care of him?? Now I dont know what her situation was, maybe she did think that the dad was a good man, that he would take good care of their child, maybe she just needed some time to get on her feet. I dont think we can judge her based on what he did. The mother is not always the best care taker. Obviously in this case the father was no good. But that doesnt mean that all fathers are scum, most of them love their kids as much as the mothers do, and deserve to be in their lives.

1. Ihavekidstoo says:

Samantha, I guess my objection is mostly that it doesn’t sound like she did enough to find her kid. Maybe she really was in a situation where she couldn’t keep him, and really believed the dad would do right by him. But as soon as the child went missing and she couldn’t locate him she should have moved heaven and earth to find him. Wouldn’t you, given the same set of circumstances?

I’ll admit there may be more to her efforts than the articles are saying, but if all she did was make a few phone calls, then she didn’t do enough to find her son and make sure he was being taken care of.

1. Samantha says:

Oh, Hell yeah… I totally agree with that part!
        If my kid went missing you can bet I would search this entire Earth until I found her/him! I hope and pray that I am never ever in the situation where I would ever have to even think about sending one or both of my kids away, I wont even send them to see their *grandma* (I use that term loosely, some know what I mean) in another state because I know that that exact thing would happen, I would never see them again. But yes, if I was in that situation I would do everything imaginable to find my child.

12. Samantha says:

1. Ihavekidstoo says:

1. Samantha says:

Oh, Hell yeah… I totally agree with that part!

As a foster parent who once upon a time lived in a trailer… Nah, I’m not EVEN going to start that mess.

People are messed up. That’s why I’ve had 21 kids in my home. I can state that I have passed all the home visits, all the children ate well, and I always insist on the placement voucher that lets me buy clothes for the children. And, if they do go home in a couple of days, at least we send them home with a wardrobe and full tummies. Foster parents exist because so many birth parents suck.

I wish this 60 lb teen had been in our custody. He would have had meals. He would have attended school and had the opportunity to participate in activities. He would have been loved, whether he wanted to be or not.

15. Angel says:

That is one of the many reasons that we love you, Kathy. Because you do a thankless job for less than nothing, and the only reward you get is knowing that you’ve done the best you could by the children. If there were more people like you and Karen, we would have fewer children who died from abuse.

16. Angel says:

17. CEMSmom says:

“Asscrab”…BWAHAHAHAHA! I think I might have to use that one.

I’m not going to go into what punishment I think this guy deserves but unfortunately experience teaches me he’ll likely get a slap on the wrist. But just a point about the RV thing I thought I’d mention. If they are living in an RV AND from St. Bernard Parish chances are their home was destroyed in Katrina. St. Bernard Parish was one of the hardest hit areas during Katrina, although it was mainly New Orleans shown on the news.

Former Katrina Evacuee
    Foster Parent
    Homeschooler

18. CEMSmom says:

“Asscrab”…BWAHAHAHAHA! I think I might have to use that one.

Former Katrina Evacuee
    Foster Parent
    Homeschooler

19. The mother is not always the best care taker. Obviously in this case the father was no good.

20. digchild says:

60 lbs is a normal weight for an 8-year-old.But I wonder how a teenager can ever weigh 60 lbs.80 lbs is already quite small for a 12-year-old,by the way.