Lasara couple charged with daughter’s death:

I make no bones I am a man of faith and a believer in Christ. However I am not stupid enough to rely on faith alone when someone is deathly ill. I am also a firm believer in Western medical science.

Apparently Maria de Jesus and Elias Coronado of Lasara, Texas don’t have all of the same beliefs I do. They’ve been charged with manslaughter for removing their 16-year-old daughter’s insulin pump saying that she had been healed by God. She just happened to need that insulin pump to live.

I just don’t understand why people seem to think that religion and medicine have to be mutually exclusive. Shouldn’t most of modern medicine be seen as gift from God?

My own mother is currently going through chemo treatment for a tumor and she is progressing wonderfully. I thank God everyday for the treatment she’s receiving from doctors.

Thanks to JoAnna for the tip.

19 thoughts on “God helps those who helps themselves

1. Lori says:

I think I found the girl’s myspace. It’s private but the status message says, “IM healed Im healed And i give all glory to GOD (( So all those who dont realy think theres a God)) There is and He has Blessed me!!!!Mood: Blessed” I’m not absolutely positive that it’s her page, though.

2. Lori says:

3. LisaAnn says:

From what Lori found it sounds like this poor, misguided girl believed she was cured. This seems like an avoidable tragedy.

Trench, my prayers are with your mother and your family. I believe that modern medicine is enhanced by the power of prayer, so the two together is better than either separately. Best wishes for all of you.

4. LisaAnn says:

5. Southern Lady says:

While I am no longer a Christian, I was raised as one, and my father was actually a preacher at one point in his life. This is what they taught me.

God gave us brains, and we are expected to use them. Almost all “modern” medicine originates from some product on the earth. Take advantage of your intellect and make use of medicine. That would be God’s will.

I’ve never believed that prayer alone would heal. I believe we are supposed to watch over ourselves, thus, prayer combined with medicine.

6. Southern Lady says:

I know that God can heal. I’ve seen it happen. I have a friend who had a tumor (showed up no multiple xrays/MRI’s). But, several people prayed for healing for her. And, when she went back to be prepped and had another xray, the tumor was gone. Completely gone. BUT, had it still been there… She would have trusted that God gave us the intelligence to find treatments and cures and that doctors are there to help. Thankfully, she did not have to undergo surgery, chemo, etc., but she would have. If my child had a life-threatening illness/disease, I would pray, but I also would trust that God would want me to use medical advances to help my child.

1. Southern Lady says:

I would like to believe this could happen. I have a first cousin right now with a brain tumor. Three months ago they gave her three months to live. She’s a faithful Christian, and family all over the world are praying for her.
      However, for me, it is difficult to believe in such. I watched my highly religious mother die from cancer, and sometimes I think it’s time.
      Still, I would like to hope. It’s just never worked for me, is all. I still respect people who can hold onto faith.

1. Southern Lady says:

9. South Texas says:

The girls family is rejoicing and celebrating her death. The mother claims she does not understand what she has done wrong… such a sad sad situation!

10. South Texas says:

11. sam says:

i was her friend and she would still be here if the parents had’t done that. wish she was here 😥

12. sam says:

13. Kathy Thomas says:

Yes, I too feel that God had progressed the medical profession to help save people’s lives, these people had something to prove…what though, I’m not sure….

14. Kathy Thomas says: