Since its premiere Young Justice has been my favorite cartoon. It’s better written than most DC comic books out today.
Last week they had a tremendous season finale. Most issues were resolved while still leaving some open. So Imagine my surprise when the season 2 premiere jumped forward into the future by 5 years. I think this is a bold move however I’m not sure if it is one that will pay off yet. In the meantime, let’s take a look at some of my likes and dislikes of the new season so far.
- Dick Grayson as Nightwing and Tim Drake as Robin. I was really hoping for this actually and surprised that it’s come through. Will we eventually see Tim as Red Robin? Will we see a confrontation with Jason Todd, The Red Hood? I can only hope.
- The additions of Batgirl and Wonder Girl. The show was lacking female characters.
- The storyline of the missing 16 hours hasn’t been forgotten.
- The fact that they didn’t explain who all the new characters are. It seems like this show was tailor-made for DC fans.
- I liked the new origin for Adam Strange. Good way to modernize an outdated character.
- The fact that some of the characters joined the League while other veterans of ‘The Team’ stayed on the team.
- The New Name. I don’t like it. When Justice League became Justice League Unlimited it didn’t stay on the air much longer. Hopefully, that’s not the case with YJ.
- No Kaldur, Wally and Artemis? I really hope their characters are not gone from the show.
- I don’t mind Blue Beetle being on the show but we get it. He’s Hispanic. You’d think with a name like Jaime Reyes we get that point. He doesn’t have to speak Spanglish every 5 seconds.
- Beast Boy? Really? He’s the only character I like less than Cyborg.
- No Red Arrow/Speedy? This is the storyline I really want to see resolved. I realize it’s only the first episode of the new season but this is what I want to see resolved most.
But so far these are only nitpicky complaints. If the first season was any indication then they will be gone as this season progresses.