Uncategorized

Megan Williams recants torture story, torturers don’t

Megan Williams to recant Logan County sex-torture testimony:

Back in 2007 I posted what in my opinion was one of the top 5 worst stories of all time. It was the story of Megan Williams from West Virginia who was tortured and molested by a group of seven people that she was familiar with. One of which she was romantically involved in. The reason this made national headlines at the time was because Williams is black and her captors were white. However I never cared about the race angle just the justice angle.

The story seems straight out of some melodramatic TV legal show (Law & Order, I’m looking at you). It possibly seemed even too bizarre for TV. All seven of her captors pleaded guilty and were sent to jail.

Now two years later Megan Williams is saying that she made the whole thing up and is recanting her story. When I first read this last week I felt like a tool calling for the heads of her tormentors back when the story first broke. However the more I read the less I felt like a tool.

First off the prosecuting attorney, Brian Abraham, says that no one went to jail on Megan Williams testimony and like I mentioned all the suspects pleaded guilty.

Not good enough for you? Ok, how about the fact that one of the captors, Frankie Brewster, says from prison that it did happen

“It did happen,” Brewster said during the interview at the Lakin Correctional Center, where she is serving 10 to 25 years. “All of us participated.”

Why is Williams recanting her story now? I have no clue. As was mentioned back at the time she is partially mentally handicapped. Not to mention that she doesn’t have the best support group whispering in her ear. May she just wants her ‘boyfriend’ Bobby Brewster back since he was also sent to prison for his role in the torture.

Who knows?

Conn. child rapist used MySpace

Man arrested for preying on teens on myspace.com:

Seriously, what is up with Connecticut? They seem to be breeding more and more child molesters every day…

(Vernon-WTNH, Oct. 10, 2006 10:30 PM) _ Police have arrested a Connecticut man they say preyed on teens on myspace.com.

Police say the suspect may have sexually assaulted five teens he met online and there may be more.

Scott Shefelbine does not have a police record but police say he has been going online and lying to teenage girls that he is also a teen in order to gain their trust and meet them.

It was 12:30 a.m. at a tower in Henry Park in Vernon when a police officer patrolling the grounds noticed a teenaged girl with an older man and began asking questions.

31-year-old Scott Shefelbine does not particularly look 19 or 17, but that is what he told at least 5 different victims that he allegedly met on myspace.com.

The Vernon police, State Police and the FBI have now seized 5 computers from Shefelbine’s home.

“We don’t know how many victims are out there. The internet is so pervasive and these predators are using it to contact so many different victims it is entirely possible that there are some out of state,” says Collins.

The five victims that police know of are all in Connecticut and between the ages of 14 and 17.

The age of consent is 16, but police say that Shefelbine has had sex with a 16-year-old he met in Henry Park when she was just 15. Shefelbine is also accused of raping the 17-year-old. He is also suspected of plying his victims with alcohol before sexually assaulting them.

I wasn’t able to find a MySpace attributed to Shefelbine but his actions are disgusting and reprehensible. I hope he goes away for a long time.