I still haven’t read all the depositions from the Jonesboro shooters yet, however, a couple of Arkansas news outlets have reported on them. So far, it seems like they’re just like every other school shooter who blames everyone but themselves for their actions. In a rare case the two shooters, Mitchell Johnson and Andrew Golden, blame each other for the attack. This is rare because not only are they the first pair of school shooters, they’re the only two still alive. The only other school shooting that had two shooters was Columbine, and those cretins took the easy way out.
In Golden’s deposition, he says the plan was all Mitchell’s idea claiming Mitchell believed he was in some sort of gang and wanted to get back at people over ‘gang stuff’. You know, because 11 and 12-year-olds are constantly running afoul of gangs (sarcasm) Golden also claims Johnson held a knife to his throat and threatened to kill him and his family if he didn’t comply.
In Johnson’s deposition, he claims the shooting, that claimed five lives, was Golden’s idea because Golden wanted to get people back to show he wasn’t a pushover.
Both said they don’t remember much about the shooting and said they were only trying to scare people even though bullets from their guns were found in each of their victims. Johnson even tried to claim he didn’t believe bullets would kill people.
These are similar claims made by school shooters of the era and since but these have only been made public recently. So it continues the trend of school shooters and plotters who, for the past 20 years, have largely failed to claim responsibility for their crimes. It will keep continuing until we responsibly raise our children to know how to act and cope in the real world.
Before there was Columbine, there was Jonesboro. On March 24, 1998, 13-year-old Mitchell Johnson and 11-year-old Andrew Golden shot and killed four students and a teacher at Westside Middle School in Jonesboro, Arkansas. Eleven other people had also been injured. At the time of the shooting there was no law in the state of Arkansas that could keep the killers in prison beyond their 21st birthday. Since then, that loophole has been closed. Johnson was released in 2005, while Golden was released in 2007. While Golden, now going by the name of Drew Grant, has largely remained out of the public eye, Johnson was arrested in 2007 on drugs and weapons charges and in 2008 on theft charges. He was sentenced to 22 years but was paroled in 2015.
Yesterday, a Craighead County judge ruled the two killers owed the families of their victims a wrongful death settlement of $150 million. This lawsuit has been going on for almost two decades. The families realize they will never receive the settlement, but mostly filed the suit to have depositions from both shooters released to the public in order to try to prevent future school shootings. Neither killer was present at the ruling. Johnson’s depositions can be found here, while Golden’s can be found here. Due to time constraints, I haven’t been able to go through all of the depositions, however, I will be making a future post about them.
Another reason the families filed the lawsuit was to prevent Johnson and Golden, the only mass school shooters who have been released from jail, from making money from their story. While Arkansas does have a Son of Sam law in place, another infamous son of Arkansas, convicted child killer Damien Echols, has shown there are ways around that. Thanks to this lawsuit neither Johnson nor Golden will be able to make a dime from their mass murders and loophole release.
After Mitchell Johnson and Andrew Golden committed the school shooting at Westside Middle School in Jonesboro, Arkansas, that left five dead they were only sentenced to be held until their 21st birthdays. Back in 1998 Arkansas had no law where juveniles could be charged as adults. Golden was released in 2007 and is said to be living under the name of Drew Douglas Grant and has remained largely quiet since his release. Johnson was released in 2005 however it took him less than two years to be arrested on drugs and weapon charges.While awaiting trial on those charges Johnson was arrested again on theft charges. After it was all said and done Johnson was sentenced in 2008 to four years in federal prison for the drugs and weapon charge and another 18 on the state theft charges. So you’s think he’d be in prison until 2030 right? Wrong.
Johnson was sentenced to 12 years after being convicted in that 2008 incident and was to be eligible for parole in 2011, but then faced four more years for the earlier drug and weapons conviction from the traffic stop, the AP reported. Schisler confirmed the account. Court records show he was released in July 2015 into the custody of the U.S. Probation Office for the Southern District of Texas and placed in a drug rehabilitation program. The office did not respond to ABC News’ multiple requests for comment.
So yeah, he’s out, on parole but still out. I wonder how long it will be this time before he ends up back in jail again. I just hope that he doesn’t end up hurting someone to get there.
It seems that Jonesboro gunman Mitchell Johnson is trying to get out of his well deserved but not nearly long enough sentence.
Last week Johnson had a motion denied where he claimed that he had ineffectual counsel in his convictions on drugs and weapons charges.
For those of you who may not know Johnson was one of the gunman in the infamous Jonesboro school shooting. At that time the state of Arkansas could not hold Johnson past adulthood due to a now closed loophole in the law.
Johnson was arrested in 2008 on not only weapons and drug charges but also fraud charges. He was sentenced to 12 years.
Speaking of upheld convictions, because we were you know, Jonesboro gunman Mitchell Johnson had his 12-year sentence for fraud upheld.
Johnson, along with fellow gunman Andrew Golden, was one of the gunmen in the infamous school shooting in Jonesboro, Arkansas at Westside Middle School on March 24, 1998 which killed 5. Johnson and Golden were jailed as juveniles due to a then loophole in state law.
However a few years ago Johnson was caught using a stolen ATM card which led to his last arrest which got him a 12 year sentence.
Johnson argued that his juvenile record should not have been considered in his convection. What Johnson fails to grasp is that his ‘juvenile record’ is not only well-known but he took place in the slaughter of five people who had nothing to do with whatever transgressions he may have perceived against him.
Johnson argues that the judge shouldn’t have allowed evidence on his juvenile record during sentencing and that the 12-year sentence was too harsh.
Mitchell Johnson’s juvenile record was that he helped kill 5 people at Westside Middle School in Jonesboro, Arkansas. 12-years for theft is nothing compared to what his victims and their families suffered.
A federal appeals court has upheld the sentence of Jonesboro gunman Mitchell Johnson for his federal weapons and drug conviction. Johnson was arrested on New Year’s Day 2007 for being in illegal possession of a gun and marijuana. He was convicted and sentenced to 4 years.
After he finishes serving his federal sentence he has an 18 year state sentence to serve for stealing a debit card.
The good news is that Jonesboro gunman Mitchell Johnson has been sentenced to 18 years behind bars for using a stolen debit card. The bad news is that his sentence will run concurrently with his other sentences.
I’m a little con fused though as he has already been sentenced on theft charges. Were their two instances of hum using a stolen debit card? Or was this two separate charges from the same incident?
Mitchell Johnson, he of the Jonesboro shootings, was sentenced to 12 years behind bars on state drug and theft charges. If you’ll recall Johnson was arrested for using the ATM card of a customer that dropped the card at the mini mart that Johnson worked at.
This sentence will be served after his 4-year federal sentence on weapons and drug charges.